The Pulsar PG7000D portable diesel generator combines performance and affordability into a single compact unit. It manages to be one of the quietest diesel generators on the market despite hitting 7,000 peak watts and 5,500 running watts—plenty of power to supply a job site, campsite, RV or even a residence in need of emergency backup electricity.
Features of the Pulsar Diesel Generator
The Pulsar PG7000D is equipped with a single-cylinder, 4-stroke air-cooled 418cc engine with a convenient electric start. Combined with a four-gallon fuel tank, it can operate for up to 9.5 hours at 50 percent load, ranking it around the middle of the pack in terms of fuel efficiency compared to its competitors.
Five power sockets—two 120V outlets, one 120V twist-lock outlet, one 120V/240V twist-lock outlet and one 12V 8.3-amp DC outlet—are capable of powering virtually any tool or appliance you need. A conveniently-designed control panel shows you real-time power inputs and outputs and the time remaining on the existing fuel supply to help you manage your usage and avoid interruptions.
There’s no getting around the fact that the Pulsar PG7000D is heavy—353 pounds, to be precise. The included wheel kit does aid in moving the bulky unit, but failure to install a handle was a significant oversight by Pulsar’s engineers.
Fortunately, they didn’t skimp on noise-reducing measures: high-quality insulation, closed-frame housing and innovative air flow design work together to make the PG7000D one of the quietest models in its class at just 69 decibels.
Additional Features of the Pulsar Diesel Generator
- Peak watts: 7,000
- Running watts: 5,000
- Run time at 50% load:5 hours
- Weight: 353 pounds
- Dimensions:5″ L x 22.3″ W x 38″ H
- Fuel capacity: 4 gallons
- Noise level: 69 dB
- Warranty: 2 years
To download the owner’s manual PDF of the Pulsar Diesel Generator from the X website, please click here.
Pros, Cons, and Alternatives To The Pulsar Diesel Generator
We would be remiss if we did not mention some of the advantages and potential disadvantages to the Pulsar Diesel Generator. No portable generator is perfect, and our weight as a source of unbiased portable generator product reviews would be in jeopardy if we did not recognize this fact.
As such, below are some pros and cons of the Pulsar Diesel Generator. We also have included a few relevant alternatives if this product does not check all the boxes to meet your needs.
Advantages of the Pulsar Diesel Generator
- The closed-frame design keeps maintenance to a minimum and more importantly, reduces the noise output on this model, one of Pulsar’s “Silent Series” generators.
- The digital control panel is intelligently designed for convenient monitoring of key performance metrics and maintenance alerts.
- The unit delivers substantial power for its price, making it a good value for both home and industrial use.
- A wheel kit is included to streamline transport.
Potential Disadvantages of the Pulsar Diesel Generator
- The generator isn’t CARB-compliant, meaning it may not be approved for use in specific states or localities.
- The unit doesn’t have a handle, making moving it a challenge, especially given its substantial weight.
- Some users have reported operational and maintenance issues and difficulty resolving them with the manufacturer.
Alternatives to the Pulsar Diesel Generator
- Pulsar Diesel Generator
- Gillette Generators Diesel
- Yamaha Portable Generator
- Generac Portable Propane Generator
Tips For Selecting The Perfect Generator
Choosing a portable generator can sometimes be challenging because different portable generators come with different features. The buyers should consider every feature like design, mechanics, and electrical features before making the final choice, and here are some tips related to it.
Consider the size of the product before buying it. Here, the product size does not indicate the product dimension but its power. It has three categories in terms of size: 2000 watts, 2000-7000 watts, and over 7000 watts.
The bigger the power of the generator, the bigger its size dimensionally; therefore, the buyers must consider its size before buying it.
Moreover, the levels of power also play a vital role in the generator and, ultimately, its buying choice. These levels of power are:
- Running Power: The generator has an exceptional capacity that can run over a continuous period.
- Surge Power: This defines the starting power of the generator. Electronic devices consume more power when they start, and therefore, the generator must be able to accommodate this.
The buyers should also consider the number of power outlets while buying a portable generator. Considering the numbers of power outlets is important for two reasons. First, it spreads the load, and second, it is useful for the variation of outlet type. It is better to choose a generator with more power outlets.
With 7,000 peak watts and 5,500 running watts, the Pulsar PG7000D portable diesel generator packs a serious punch, with a run time sufficient to support a full day at the job site or a temporary power outage at home. Its closed-frame design and ample insulation help dampen the noise commonly associated with diesel generators, and its user-friendly control panel and simple push-button start let you get to work quickly.
However, the unit’s considerable weight and lack of a handle make it a challenge to transport, and Pulsar doesn’t enjoy the same sterling reputation for quality and longevity that some of its competitors do. If these caveats aren’t a deal-breaker for you, the Pulsar PG7000D is a solid generator for the money.
Additional Generator Resources
- Portable Generator Transfer Switch: A 2020 Guide
- Generator Oil Matters: Choosing The Right Oil For Your Generator
- Power Line Conditioner: A Great Purchase? Our Take + 4 Options
- How To Parallel Generators For Strong Power in 2020
- The Importance of a Generator Wheel Kit in 2020
Interested in getting more information about generators, usage tips, and recommendations for the best portable generator? If so, you may be interested in the Generator Expert mailing list. We won’t spam you, and we don’t sell your data. That’s a promise.