With its formidable 435cc Yanmar engine, rugged steel frame, and astonishing 32-hour run time, the Generac Portable Propane Generator and Generac Portable Diesel Generator XD5000E professional-grade diesel generator is a smart choice for reliable portable power.
The strength and longevity of the Generac XD5000E is evident from the first glance. The 1.25-inch steel tube frame is lightweight yet durable, with three areas of vertical support to protect the operational components from impact. Its design includes an integrated lifting eye for transporting the 252-pound generator; unfortunately, the mobility kit—sturdy never-flat wheels, handle and front foot—is sold separately, and you really can’t go without it.
Features of the Generac Portable Propane Generator
Beneath the surface, the XD5000E is a beast. The air-cooled, direct-injection Yanmar engine is counterbalanced for smooth, vibration-free operation, even at its peak of 9.3HP at 3600 RPM. With harmonic distortion capped at 6 percent, it’s safe for use with sensitive electronic devices.
A high-quality muffler helps keep noise at a manageable level, although like any diesel generator, it’s not going to operate silently. The engine is Tier 4 EPA-certified and CARB-compliant, and the low oil pressure shutdown feature prevents inadvertent damage.
Thanks to the engine’s excellent fuel efficiency and high-capacity 12-gallon fuel tank, you won’t have to interrupt your work to refuel: a single tank of diesel yields more than 32 hours of run time at 50 percent load. The fuel cap is fitted with a convenient gauge to ensure you never end up running on empty.
Starting the Generac is a cinch, with both recoil pull-start and battery-operated electric push-button start; however, the required 12V battery for the electric starter must be purchased separately. An integrated compression release lever guarantees smooth starts, even in cold weather.
The high-visibility control panel includes an hour meter with alerts to help you manage both usage and maintenance. It also features a 120/240V selector switch, 23-amp main circuit breaker, 30-amp push button circuit breaker, two 20-amp push button circuit breakers, two 120V 20-amp GFCI duplex outlets, one 120V/240V twist-lock outlet and one 120V twist-lock outlet.
Additional Features of the Generac Portable Propane Generator
- Peak watts: 5,500
- Running watts: 5,000
- Run time at 50% load:4 hours
- Weight: 252 pounds
- Dimensions:1″ L x 22.5″ W x 25.6″ H
- Fuel capacity: 12 gallons
- Noise level: N/A
- Warranty: 2 years
To download the owner’s manual PDF of the Generac Portable Propane Generator from the Generac website, please click here.
Pros, Cons, and Alternatives To The Generac Portable Propane Generator
We would be remiss if we did not mention some of the advantages and potential disadvantages to the Generac Portable Propane Generator. No portable generator is perfect, and our weight as a source of unbiased portable generator product reviews would be in jeopardy if we did not recognize this fact.
As such, below are some pros and cons of the Generac Portable Propane Generator. We also have included a few relevant alternatives if this product does not check all the boxes to meet your needs.
Advantages of the Generac Portable Propane Generator
- The efficient and powerful 435cc engine and massive 12-gallon fuel tank combine to give the XD5000E an eye-popping 32.4 hours of continuous run time at half load, so you won’t spend as much time or effort refueling as you would with other models.
- Its sturdy steel frame and open design are lightweight, yet strong enough to withstand heavy use and the occasional impact.
- Low total harmonic distortion means you can connect your delicate electronic devices without fear of damage.
Potential Disadvantages of the Generac Portable Propane Generator
- The portability kit and battery for the electric starter aren’t included in the base price and must be purchased separately.
- It doesn’t offer a wireless remote start option, which can be frustrating in inclement weather.
- Even with the sound-dampening muffler, the generator still generates significant noise levels.
Alternatives to the Generac Portable Propane Generator
Tips For Selecting The Perfect Generator
Choosing a portable generator can sometimes be challenging because different portable generators come with different features. The buyers should consider every feature like design, mechanics, and electrical features before making the final choice, and here are some tips related to it.
Consider the size of the product before buying it. Here, the product size does not indicate the product dimension but its power. It has three categories in terms of size: 2000 watts, 2000-7000 watts, and over 7000 watts.
The bigger the power of the generator, the bigger its size dimensionally; therefore, the buyers must consider its size before buying it.
Moreover, the levels of power also play a vital role in the generator and, ultimately, its buying choice. These levels of power are:
- Running Power: The generator has an exceptional capacity that can run over a continuous period.
- Surge Power: This defines the starting power of the generator. Electronic devices consume more power when they start, and therefore, the generator must be able to accommodate this.
The buyers should also consider the number of power outlets while buying a portable generator. Considering the numbers of power outlets is important for two reasons. First, it spreads the load, and second, it is useful for the variation of outlet type. It is better to choose a generator with more power outlets.
The Generac XD5000E offers an appealing balance of power, endurance and affordability, with a price tag that falls in the midrange of its class. While it doesn’t produce crazy-high wattage, its 5000 running watts are generally sufficient to handle most residential and light industrial demands, and none of its competitors come close to its unparalleled 32-hour run time.
Convenience, quality and consistent performance are just a few of the benefits that keep the Generac XD5000E in the top tier of portable diesel generators.
Additional Generator Resources
- Portable Generator Transfer Switch: A 2020 Guide
- Generator Oil Matters: Choosing The Right Oil For Your Generator
- Power Line Conditioner: A Great Purchase? Our Take + 4 Options
- How To Parallel Generators For Strong Power in 2020
- The Importance of a Generator Wheel Kit in 2020
Interested in getting more information about generators, usage tips, and recommendations for the best portable generator? If so, you may be interested in the Generator Expert mailing list. We won’t spam you, and we don’t sell your data. That’s a promise.