With its formidable 435cc Yanmar engine, rugged steel frame and astonishing 32-hour run time, the Generac Diesel Generator XD5000E professional-grade diesel generator is a smart choice for reliable portable power.
It is one of the best diesel generators on the market today.
Features of the Generac Diesel Generator
The strength and longevity of the Generac Diesel Generator XD5000E is evident from the first glance. The 1.25-inch steel tube frame is lightweight yet durable, with three areas of vertical support to protect the operational components from impact. Its design includes an integrated lifting eye for transporting the 252-pound generator; unfortunately, the mobility kit—sturdy never-flat wheels, handle and front foot—is sold separately, and you really can’t go without it.
Beneath the surface, the XD5000E is a beast. The air-cooled, direct-injection Yanmar engine is counterbalanced for smooth, vibration-free operation, even at its peak of 9.3HP at 3600 RPM. With harmonic distortion capped at 6 percent, it’s safe for use with sensitive electronic devices. A high-quality muffler helps keep noise at a manageable level, although like any diesel generator, it’s not going to operate silently. The engine is Tier 4 EPA-certified and CARB-compliant, and the low oil pressure shutdown feature prevents inadvertent damage.
Fuel, Starting and More
Thanks to the engine’s excellent fuel efficiency and high-capacity 12-gallon fuel tank, you won’t have to interrupt your work to refuel: a single tank of diesel yields more than 32 hours of run time at 50 percent load. The fuel cap is fitted with a convenient gauge to ensure you never end up running on empty.
Starting the Generac Diesel Generator is a cinch, with both recoil pull-start and battery-operated electric push-button start; however, the required 12V battery for the electric starter is a separate purchase. An integrated compression release lever guarantees smooth starts, even in cold weather.
The high-visibility control panel includes an hour meter with alerts to help you manage both usage and maintenance. It also features a 120/240V selector switch, 23-amp main circuit breaker, 30-amp push button circuit breaker, two 20-amp push button circuit breakers, two 120V 20-amp GFCI duplex outlets, one 120V/240V twist-lock outlet and one 120V twist-lock outlet.
Specifications of the Generac Diesel Generator
- Peak watts: 5,500
- Running watts: 5,000
- Run time at 50% load:4 hours
- Weight: 252 pounds
- Dimensions:1″ L x 22.5″ W x 25.6″ H
- Fuel capacity: 12 gallons
- Noise level: N/A
- Warranty: 2 years
To download the owner’s manual PDF of the Generac Diesel Generator from the Generac website, please click here.
Pros and Cons of the Generac Diesel Generator
Advantages of the Generac Diesel Generator
- The efficient and powerful 435cc engine and massive 12-gallon fuel tank combine to give the XD5000E an eye-popping 32.4 hours of continuous run time at half load, so you won’t spend as much time or effort refueling as you would with other models.
- Its sturdy steel frame and open design are lightweight, yet strong enough to withstand heavy use and the occasional impact.
- Low total harmonic distortion means you can connect your delicate electronic devices without fear of damage.
- The EPA-certified and CARB-compliant engine is a reliable source of clean, portable power.
Disadvantages of the Generac Diesel Generator
- The portability kit and battery for the electric starter aren’t included in the base price and must be purchased separately.
- It doesn’t offer a wireless remote start option, which can be frustrating in inclement weather.
- Even with the sound-dampening muffler, the generator still generates significant noise levels.
Alternatives to the Generac Diesel Generator
- Gilette GEN-PRO GPED-65EK Diesel Generator
- DuroStar DS7000Q Portable Diesel Generator
- Pulsar PG7000D Diesel Generator
The Generac diesel generator XD5000E offers an appealing balance of power, endurance and affordability, with a price tag that falls in the midrange of its class. While it doesn’t produce crazy-high wattage, its 5000 running watts are generally sufficient to handle most residential and light industrial demands, and none of its competitors come close to its unparalleled 32-hour run time.
Convenience, quality and consistent performance are just a few of the benefits that keep the Generac Diesel Generator XD5000E in the top tier of portable diesel generators.
Additional Generator Resources
- Portable Generator Transfer Switch: A 2020 Guide
- Generator Oil Matters: Choosing The Right Oil For Your Generator
- Power Line Conditioner: A Great Purchase? Our Take + 4 Options
- How To Parallel Generators For Strong Power in 2020
- The Importance of a Generator Wheel Kit in 2020
Interested in getting more information about generators, usage tips, and recommendations for the best portable generator? If so, you may be interested in the Generator Expert mailing list. We won’t spam you, and we don’t sell your data. That’s a promise.