The Gilette Generators GEN-PRO GPED-65EK diesel generator may be the best generator you’ve never heard of. While Gilette isn’t exactly a household name when it comes to portable power sources, the GPED-65EK delivers outstanding performance in a high-quality package, making it an excellent value for consumers seeking a reliable diesel generator.
Powered by a muscular 401cc Kohler direct-injection engine, this surprisingly lightweight generator produces 6,500 watts of peak power and 5,000 watts of continuous power for a wide range of applications, including emergency outages, power tools and even industrial settings. An integrated brushless alternator keeps a tight rein on power fluctuations, ensuring total harmonic distortion never exceeds 5 percent to protect sensitive electronic devices.
Features of Gillette Generators
The generator is designed to stand up to challenging environments, with a sturdy open-steel frame and durable rubber mountings. The detailed control panel features a protective casing to prevent damage, with circuit breakers to protect all outlets and automatic low oil shutoff feature. A robust warranty guarantees the unit for three years.
Not only is the Gilette remarkably powerful, but it’s also remarkably clean and fuel-efficient. The four-gallon fuel tank yields 10 hours of use at half-load, and the onboard air cleaning system, dual-element filters and Tier 4 EPA and CARB certifications help to reduce harmful emissions.
- Power: The powerful, efficient Kohler engine delivers 9HP at its peak and 8HP during continuous use, with a convenient electric push-button start and Power Assist feature that minimizes power fluctuations.
- Versatility: The Gilette GPED-63EK includes four 120V 15A outlets, one 120V 30A twist-lock outlet and one 120V/240V 50 A outlet.
- Efficiency: With a modest fuel consumption of around 7.5 kilowatt-hours per gallon, a single tank of fuel will last up to 10 hours at 50 percent load.
- Consistency: The generator produces a steady power supply with less than 5 percent THD, making it safe for use with sensitive electronic devices.
- Convenience: The unit includes an electric push-button start and an easy-to-read control panel with voltmeter, hour meter and key maintenance alerts.
Additional Features of Gillette Generators
- Peak watts: 6,000
- Running watts: 5,000
- Run time at 50% load: 10 hours
- Weight: 207 pounds
- Dimensions: 28″ L x 22″ W x 23″ H
- Fuel capacity: 4 gallons
- Noise level: 78 dB
- Warranty: 1 year
To download the owner’s manual PDF of Gillette Generators from the X website, please click here.
Pros, Cons, and Alternatives To Gillette Generators
We would be remiss if we did not mention some of the advantages and potential disadvantages to Gillette Generators. No portable generator is perfect, and our weight as a source of unbiased portable generator product reviews would be in jeopardy if we did not recognize this fact.
As such, below are some pros and cons of Gillette Generators. We also have included a few relevant alternatives if this product does not check all the boxes to meet your needs.
Advantages of Gillette Generators
- The generator is assembled and tested in the U.S.
- Power-regulating design and features make it safe for use with computers, smartphones and other delicate digital devices.
- The efficient diesel engine provides excellent fuel economy and good run time.
- Its well-built design and rugged 1.25-inch roll frame are designed to stand up to impact and years of heavy use.
- The unit is Tier 4 EPA-certified and CARB-compliant for cleaner operations with fewer harmful emissions.
Potential Disadvantages of Gillette Generators
- The mobility kit, which includes axle, handles and two never-flat wheels, must be purchased separately, adding to the unit’s already considerable cost
- At 78 decibels, the generator is relatively loud to operate, especially in residential areas.
- No remote start option is available for the unit.
- The manufacturer’s warranty is somewhat short compared to competitors’ models.
Alternatives to Gillette Generators
- DuroStar DS7000Q
- Pulsar Diesel Generator
- Yamaha Portable Generator
- Generac Portable Propane Generator
Tips For Selecting The Perfect Generator
Choosing a portable generator can sometimes be challenging because different portable generators come with different features. The buyers should consider every feature like design, mechanics, and electrical features before making the final choice, and here are some tips related to it.
Consider the size of the product before buying it. Here, the product size does not indicate the product dimension but its power. It has three categories in terms of size: 2000 watts, 2000-7000 watts, and over 7000 watts.
The bigger the power of the generator, the bigger its size dimensionally; therefore, the buyers must consider its size before buying it.
Moreover, the levels of power also play a vital role in the generator and, ultimately, its buying choice. These levels of power are:
- Running Power: The generator has an exceptional capacity that can run over a continuous period.
- Surge Power: This defines the starting power of the generator. Electronic devices consume more power when they start, and therefore, the generator must be able to accommodate this.
The buyers should also consider the number of power outlets while buying a portable generator. Considering the numbers of power outlets is important for two reasons. First, it spreads the load, and second, it is useful for the variation of outlet type. It is better to choose a generator with more power outlets.
Despite its surprisingly light weight, the Gilette GEN-PRO GPED-65EK is a durable, high-quality generator that delivers consistent power for a wide range of applications.
You will need to spend a little extra for the mobility kit, but the convenient folding handles and sturdy wheels are essential for getting the most out of this well-rounded unit. The excellent fuel efficiency and years of reliable performance the GPED-65EK delivers make it an outstanding value for the money.
Additional Generator Resources
- Portable Generator Transfer Switch: A 2020 Guide
- Generator Oil Matters: Choosing The Right Oil For Your Generator
- Power Line Conditioner: A Great Purchase? Our Take + 4 Options
- How To Parallel Generators For Strong Power in 2020
- The Importance of a Generator Wheel Kit in 2020
Interested in getting more information about generators, usage tips, and recommendations for the best portable generator? If so, you may be interested in the Generator Expert mailing list. We won’t spam you, and we don’t sell your data. That’s a promise.